Thursday, August 9, 2018

Joyful Stars Hop


Are you ready for some fun ideas from the Joyful Stars ladies? Well sit back and enjoy the hop! If you've come from Marie Flayer's blog you're doing fine. Just click the link in each post to hop to the next blog.

My project is from a class I recently taught to my card club. It's not a card but sometimes I include a fun project other than cards! This time it's was glass etching. 

I know glass etching might sound like a challenge but really is not at all. When I first learned how to etch glass 20 years ago it was more challenging. Here's how that went.  Simply stamp a simple image on some sticker paper letting it dry. Next put the sticker paper on the glass item to be etched. Take a craft knife and cut out the parts of the image you don't want to etch. Use the etching cream and paint it on the cut out areas of the image. wait a couple minutes and paint a second coat. The first coat can be kind of thin but the second coat should be thicker. After at least 10 min. wash off the sticker paper and etching cream. It will look like there is no image while the glass is wet. Once dried off you will see you image. 
NOTE: You must use the glass etching cream with acid in it. It's the acid that etched the glass. Because of the acid be sure to wear latex type gloves.

The easier way to etch glass is to cut a stencil with your Cricut! The rest of the procedure is the same except for cutting the image while on the glass. 

Stencil cut from Cricut

Image after being etched.
It's hard to photo on it's own.

Here is my sample of the old way. The image is being cut on the glass with a craft knife. If you have an intricate image this is still the way to go. It looks a bit rough in the photo but once etched it comes out fine. The leaves are uncut so I can show the ladies during class.

Close To My Heart products
  • Cricut Artbooking (heart flowers)
  • Stamp Set: Happily Ever After (bottom photo)
  • Exclusive Ink: Black
Other products
  • Armor Etch - Glass Etching Cream
  • Craft Knife
  • Sticker Paper
  • Glass of choice - mine are the Oui Yogurt containers
Need some supplies?
If you need a consultant I'd be happy to help.
If you'd like to BE a consultant I can help with that, too.

Now it's time to see what Betty Locco has to inspire us with! 
Thanks for hopping by!

Michelle 

#CTMH #showandtellwithmichelle #bloghop #glassetching

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this, but I'm definitely going to have to give it a try! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on your glass embossing. I have never tried it but you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project, Michelle! I love those heart stems. I'm a fan of glass etching--every year I etch personalised "award" glasses for my golf league. The ladies love them!
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea for prizes! We are hosting our 30th family golf outing next month and I've been thinking about prizes. You've given me a great idea! Thanks, Marie!

      Delete

What did you think? Please leave a comment and make my day!

Stencil Card ~ Color Dare #594

 Friday means a new challenge from our team at Color Dare! This week you pick at least 3 colors shown in our graphic. See the graphic for th...